Analyze your course to discover more about your students
The following course reports are available in all Blackboard courses. Explore what they can offer you to illustrate how engaged your students are in your course.
How to Access Course Reports:
- Within your Blackboard course, navigate to “Course Management” section of the menu on the left.
- Click on the “Evaluation” link.
- From this sub-menu, you can find “Course Reports” and “Retention Center.” Both of these areas provide course analytics report options. Each are described in the table below.
|1: All User Activity inside Content Areas
- This report displays data for: all user activity (# of hits) inside content areas; all user activity inside content areas per day; and individual user activity inside content areas per day
- Option to run report for all users or select certain users
- Includes the instructor as a user*
- Creates four sub reports
- *NOTE: because this report includes the instructor as a User, when you run the report you should be sure to select only students in order to not inflate the counts.
|2: Course Activity Overview
- This report displays data for: activity (amount of time in hours) per day [NOTE: if report is run for period of time longer than one week, it will combine all the Sundays for the activity time, etc]; total amount of time spent in course; and average amount of time spent in course
- Individual user activity (in hours) in course; comparison to course average.
- Can only run for whole class (not particular students)
- Creates two sub-reports
- Note: includes Instructor as a user*
- *NOTE: because this sub-report includes the instructor as a user, this may inflate this data. For instance, the second sub-report marks the Avg Time in Course, which includes the Instructor; if the instructor is more active in the course, students will be ‘below average’.
- Suggestion: unless you are not active in your BB course, ignore the average time BB provides and calculate your own average.
|3: Course Coverage Report
- This report displays data on course items that have been aligned to goals.
- This report is only useful if you set goals in your course. You can then align course content to these goals. However, instructors cannot create the goals.This is done at institutional level.
|4: Course Performance
- This report displays how a single course performs against a selected set of goals.
- This report is only useful if you set goals in your course. You can then align your course to these goals. However, instructors cannot create the goals. This is done at the institutional level.
|5: Overall Summary of User Activity
- This report displays user activity for all areas of your course, as well as activity dates, times, and days of the week. Use this report to view student access as well as how often course tools are used.
- This report provides ‘hits’ on various tools and items, related percentages and charts that describe the statistics. Individual students, groups, or the entire class can be selected.
- Activity data is only maintained for 180 days.
|6: Student Overview for Single Course
- Student Overview for Single Course displays an individual student’s activity within your course, sorted by date. Data includes the total overall time a student spent in your course.
- You can view detailed information about a student’s activity, such as which items and content areas a student accessed and the time spent on each.
- Use this report to check a certain student’s course activity.
|7: User Activity in Forums
- User Activity in Forums displays a summary of user activity in discussion forums in your course
|8: User Activity in Groups
- User Activity in Groups displays a summary of user activity in groups for your course
|9: Blackboard Retention Centre
- The Retention Center helps you discover which students in your course are at risk. Based on default rules and rules you create, student‘s engagement and participation are visually displayed, quickly alerting you to potential risk.
- Retention Centre guide
- Customizing the Retention Centre guide
firstname.lastname@example.org | 403.356.4989 | Teaching Common – 913C | Find us on theLoop | Find us on Twitter and Facebook @ctlrdc
Updated April 11, 2019
Print This Page