The purpose of Introduction to Teaching and Learning (ITL) at Red Deer College (RDC) is to introduce new faculty to Teaching and Learning at RDC and to provide a supportive environment for discussion, self-reflection, and practice. The goal of ITL@RDC is to help new faculty prepare for teaching at RDC by giving them just in time support prior to the start of classes.
Additional information will be sent to participants upon registration. If you have any questions, please email the CTL.
Introduction to Teaching and Learning Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of ITL@RDC, new faculty will be able to:
- Integrate self-reflective practices into their teaching
- Reflect on and incorporate feedback related to teaching
- Identify key policies at RDC (or beyond, e.g. AIT) that govern teaching and learning and integrate these into their teaching and planning processes
- Employ principles of Outcomes Based Curriculum Design into course planning to ensure alignment, threading, and laddering
- Evaluate a variety of lesson plans for their applicability to one’s teaching focus
- Discuss relevant evidence from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in order to create a learner-centred classroom
This will be a fully online offering. Participants must be available to participate in all online synchronous sessions.
- Monday, January 11th, 2021 from 6:00pm-9:30pm
- Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 from 6:00pm-9:30pm
- Monday, January 18th, 2021 from 6:00pm-9:30pm
- Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 from 6:00pm-9:30pm
We welcome registrations from any new faculty, including part-time faculty who may have missed offerings of ITL in past years. Participants must be available to participate in all online synchronous, asynchronous, and independent components in order to attend and complete ITL@RDC. Additional information will be sent to participants upon registration.
“I have greatly enjoyed my year of teaching at RDC. The ITL course was a great asset and I felt it contributed greatly to my success this year with the students. The lesson plan tools and the practice teaching was an eye opener. Teachers do a lot of prep work! Thank you again for performing my peer observation and I look forward to another year at RDC.”
View the following videos for additional support: