The purpose of the Introduction to Teaching and Learning (ITL) Program is to introduce new faculty to Teaching and Learning at RDC and to provide a supportive environment for discussion, self-reflection, and practice. The goal of ITL is to help new faculty prepare for teaching at RDC by giving them just in time support prior to the start of classes.
Additional information will be sent to ITL Participants upon registration. If you have any questions about ITL, please email the CTL.
Introduction to Teaching and Learning Program Outcomes
Upon successful completion of ITL, new faculty at RDC will be able to:
- Integrate self-reflective practices into their teaching
- Reflect on and incorporate feedback related to teaching
- Identify key policies at RDC (or beyond, e.g. AIT) that govern teaching and learning and integrate these into their teaching and planning processes
- Employ principles of Outcomes Based Curriculum Design into course planning to ensure alignment, threading, and laddering
- Evaluate a variety of lesson plans for their applicability to one’s teaching focus
- Discuss relevant evidence from the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in order to create a learner-centred classroom
January 2018 Registration
Important January 2018 ITL Dates
Please see the full list of dates with assignments and session details in the January 2018 ITL Schedule document, coming soon. In order to participate in ITL, faculty must be available for all 4 face-to-face Sessions.
- ITL Pre-Work: Due before the first day of ITL
- ITL Initial Session: Monday, January 15, 2018 (6:00pm-9:30pm)
- ITL Micro-Teaching Session: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 (6:00pm-9:30pm)
- ITL Micro-Teaching Session: Monday, January 22, 2018 (6:00pm-9:30pm)
- ITL Final Session: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 (6:00pm-9:30pm)
“I have greatly enjoyed my year of teaching at RDC. The ITL course was a great asset and I felt it contributed greatly to my success this year with the students. The lesson plan tools and the practice teaching was an eye opener. Teachers do a lot of prep work! Thank you again for performing my peer observation and I look forward to another year at RDC.”
Donna McCook, Instructor, Medical Lab Assistant Program, School of Health Sciences Red Deer College
- Click here for video resources such as:
- How to Access your RDC Account for the First Time
- Basic Navigation Features in Blackboard